This project may take several years to complete. The team will endeavour to log their progress on this page. Most information will be loaded sequentially by ship, though of course updates and corrections at the convict level will happen as the information becomes available. The team will endeavour to source or link to as many convict stories as possible but they are likely to be added as they become available so may not all get logged here.
Progress Update (05.12.2022)
Each ship will go through a number of stages until it is complete with currently known information. If we receive information on a particular convict or we learn of more online sources then we will add any new information that we can get our hands on.
Stage 1: Ship Level Links - a lot of data is available online in data sets there are sequential by convict number. We have added all of the data that we have found so far at the ship level. This stage is complete for all ships. If we find more sources we will add them.
Stage 2: Convict Load - we are loading convicts into our database one ship at at time using a spreadsheet load. This process is complete for the first 13 ships i.e. up to and including the Sea Park
Stage 3: Std WA Links - we have recorded links to a number of websites and other data ready to add as soon as a ship load of convicts is added to our database. This data includes:-
- details of reconvictions where convicts end up being assigned more than one convict number
- links to stories on Harvey History Online
- East Perth Cemetery death and burial information
- Convicts Who Left the Colony via Albany Register on Ancestry and data from Police Gazettes
- convict deaths from Police Gazettes
- convict deaths, punishment, permission to marry and permisison to bring families to WA from the Half Year Returns
- convict deaths in Fremantle prison hospital
- known escaped convicts posters on SLWA
- stories and references to convicts in published books (obviously we will add more as we find them)
- links to the Australian Convict Register where it has additional information
- links to digitalpanopticon where it has additional information
- links to the Mid West Convict Register
- links to the 1859 York Census
- links to TOL and Reconviction Registers on Ancestry
The Stage 3 process is complete for all ships up to and including the General Godwin
Stage 4: UK Prison Register Links - we are adding links to the registers of all the prisons (that are online) that each convict spent time in. All ships up to the Sea Park are complete. Wherever possible we are using the registers on AJCP Trove which are free to access but many of them stop in 1852 so we will have to use findmypast and The Genealogist for a number of prisons after that date.
Stage 5: UK Newspaper Articles Links - where we can find them we are linking to newspaper articles for each convict. All ships up to the Pyrenees I are complete. Articles for the William Jardine are also complete thanks to help from Roz Myles. We will work back to the Minden and the Marion.
State 6: Aust Trove and other Links - we are adding as many extra links as we can find. The Scindian, Hashemy and Mermaid are done. Links for the Marion is complete thanks to help from Myree McGoldrick. We will work back to the Minden and Pyrenees I.
Additions or Significant Changes
- 03/02/2022 Added Plans for Convict Establishment, Pensioner Guard Cottages to "Maps & Diagrams"
- 03/02/2022 Added links to Half Year Returns to "Links"
- 05/02/2022 Found Transport Registers for Phoebe Dunbar and Robert Small on AJCP Trove. Added to their ship level links
- 10/02/2022 Added an Index for Convict Stories
- 27/03/2022 Links to all known petitions that we could find were added to convict links files.
- 02/04/2022 99 stories for Hashemy convicts written by Marcia Watson were added.
- 16/07/2022 Ship No. 9 Pyrenees II loaded. Percentage of total convicts loaded = 20.9%
- 22/07/2022 "Sneak Peak" Convict Resources page added to FHWA website for convicts whose links files have been prepared early!
- 28/07/2022 Ship No. 10 Robert Small loaded. Percentage of total convicts loaded = 24.2%
- 05/08/2022 Added a Link to the Register of Applications for Passage of Wives & Family to WA (CO 386/154)
- 10/08/2022 Added links to the Medical Board Reports into the Robert Small and Phoebe Dunbar voyages which had 8 and 9 deaths.
- 10/10/2022 Added details of Godfrey Woolnough's (#271) second trip on the Clyde (#7301).
- 23/11/2022 Added an index for WA convicts who had previously been sentenced to transportation. Most of the details of convicts identified up to the Robert Small have been found and updated.
- 27/11/2022 Phoebe Dunbar spreadsheet loaded. Prison Register links are in progress.
- 28/11/2022 General Godwin spreadsheet loaded.
- 30/11/2022 Sea Park spreadsheet loaded.